1) First, purchase a vinyl sticker tree that you like. They are in the home décor department at most stores, I got this one at Pier 1 Imports.
2) Select a wall where you want to place your family tree.
3) Lay the tree down on the floor and cut the branches apart. This will allow you to arrange them out like you want. You will want the tree in a shape that fits the space you’re going to use for the tree. Most vinyl trees when assembled like the package says are only 4’ tall. To make your tree taller do not put the tree together like the package says. You will cut the branches and place them in various directions to create your tree as tall and wide as you like and also make room for the photos.
4) Place the tree branches in the shape you desire and be sure and use a measuring tape or yardstick so you won’t make your tree too tall or too wide for the wall. Better to arrange the tree on the floor than to put it on the wall and see it doesn’t fit.
5) Place the photos where you want them while the tree is still on the floor. Lay the photos on top of the branches. Great grandparents and grandparents first on the bottom branches of the tree, then you and your spouse’s next, and last your children on the top branches. All the photos I choose are from everyone’s wedding. (For the grandparents I didn’t always have a wedding photo, so I used the earliest photo I could find.)
6) Make sure your wall is clean and dry.
8) Get creative and make your tree unique. Have the branches go wherever you want; place the photos in whatever order you think best.
9) Step back occasionally and see if you like your placement. The nice thing about the vinyl sticker is you can take it off and replace it where you want.
10) Enjoy the new artwork. I hope you love your family tree as much as I love mine. This project was on my Sand Bucket List Update.